My name is Joan Wallner and I’m a photographer based in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
As long as I can remember, I have had a passion for capturing events — be it with the written word or through photography. While in college hitting the books for my journalism career, I took several photography classes in an attempt to give myself some balance. I fell absolutely in love with photography and capturing the world, people and events around me. Fortunately, I was able to refine my photography skills during my early newspaper days. I won several photography awards, inspiring my desire even more.
More of my time is now devoted to capturing images of life, wildlife and landscape photography. (That photo is of me photographing grizzly bears in Katmai National Park in Alaska!) My hope is that you enjoy the “shot shorts,” photos and travel experiences that I share.
Sign up for Shot Shorts emails containing my latest photos and travel tips.
What I can do for you
When I’m not traveling to photograph wildlife and landscapes, I take family, individual and other portrait sessions.
If you need a family photo for your holiday card, senior picture for your son or daughter, or a photo announcing your engagement, I can help!
No matter what the event is, we will work together to capture your special moments.
I’m also available for freelance, contract or direct client projects, so drop me a message.
Photographs selected for Juried shows by the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum Photographers’ Society.
- “Dainty Dahlia,” January 2016.
- “Burst of Blue,” January 2016. Photo also received enough popular votes for the exhibit at West Photo exhibit and sale, April to June 2016.
- “Skimming the Pond Through Cattails,” January 2015.
- “Blackbird Melody,” January 2015.
- “Beetle Pad,” January 2014 and won a Gold award.
- “Winter Silhouette,” January 2014 and won a Silver award.
- “Palisade in the Mist” in the “From Land to Lakes — Exploring the North Shore” show, September 2013.
- “Boundary Water Sunrise” in the “From Land to Lakes — Exploring the North Shore” show, September 2013.
- “Curious Alaskan Red Squirrel” won the People’s Choice Award at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum’s Art and Photography Exhibit Holiday Sale, December 2012.
- “Lantana Landing” selected August 2012 for the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum Photographers’ Society greeting card program in which proceeds go to the arboretum.
- “Spring Swallow” selected August 2012 for the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum Photographers’ Society greeting card program in which proceeds go to the arboretum.
- “Curious Pronghorn” published May 2012 in the Grand Teton National Park Foundation’s eNewsletter. To view the newsletter Click here.
- 1993, 3rd place in the Best Spot News Photography category, Missouri Press Association Read Blog.
- 1991, 2nd place in the Best Photograph category, Southern Illinois Editorial Association Read Blog.
- 1991, Honorable mention in the Sport Photography category, Illinois Press Association Read Blog.
- March 2011 to present, Minnesota Landscape Arboretum Photographers’ Society
- May 2011 to August 2012, Programming Committee, Minnesota Landscape Arboretum Photographers’ Society.